Tuesday, January 15, 2013

I will be with thee


This post below is written by Austin (Oaklynn's Dad)...

I wanted to share an Old Testament story and my testimony with our family and friends because there are a few of them close to us who are struggling right now. I can't began to claim that I understand what some of them are going through right now but I hope I can help them look to the Lord for guidance and provide a little hope to get them through the day...
The story of Moses helped me a lot on my mission when I was struggling. My mission, even though it was a short one, is something I cherish. This story meant a lot to me because we were asked to do something that is very difficult and sometimes we felt alone. We had to find people (sometimes perfect strangers) and ask them to change for the Lord. I don’t care who you are, that’s hard to ask of anyone and it’s difficult to accept.
Moses was chosen to carry out a task that was near impossible. He was commanded to go into Egypt and lead the Children of Israel out of bondage from King Pharoah. Pharoah was ruler of an empire and had a legion that was innumerable at his command. Moses was one man (yes, he took Aaron), and was asked to go in and free the people.
While receiving instruction from the Lord, Moses pretty much says he is nothing and that there’s no way he can do this; he’s hopeless: “… Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?” The Lord then says: “…Certainly I will be with thee; and this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee: When thou hast brought forth the people out of Egypt, ye shall serve God upon this mountain.”
Six, simple words of hope that I will not forget:          Certainly I will be with thee
I like to think the Lord is being slightly sarcastic here saying: Come on Moses, you know I’m always with you… I have no doubt that this attitude is directed towards us today. Remember, the Lord never changes. He is certainly with all of us today; holding our hand and picking us up as we struggle through the difficult times. I believe this is the essence of the Atonement. It’s there for us to use and I pray that those struggling will see that.
Finding out about Oaklynn’s diagnosis was one of the hardest things we've gone through. Not only did we learn that she may never walk or talk but we also learned that there’s a possibility she may not be with us for very long. I can’t imagine waking up a day without her… That ripped a hole right through our hearts but every giggle and smile from Oaklynn mends that void. One day, through faith and love, the Lord will completely patch us up and we will be whole again through the Atonement. The six words above have personally helped me to keep moving. Sure, there are difficult days; Whitney and I still have a good “cry session” here and there, but it gets easier. The Lord has taught us how to live with these facts and focus on what’s truly important: being together in the end…

I want my siblings to know they’re not alone, even though they may feel like that all the time. There isn't anything the Lord won’t do for you. Look to him often and trust in what he’s doing. Please continue to look to your family for help as well. The family is in the center of the gospel for a reason: we were never meant to travel this road alone. Whitney and I along with our angels love you very much and pray that you’ll find some comfort soon.
(Picture above is Austin's Dad, his wife and siblings. Picture was taken November 2011)

1 comment:

Camille said...

Very well written! This is a hard thing to understand and to have faith sometimes. I actually am giving a talk on this same subject this week, so I may have to steal the story of Moses. :) You guys are amazing!